Friday, May 27, 2011

Special thanks

Normally, it's the bad things people do that get the biggest attention in newspapers.

Today, I'm going to talk about the good things people did Thursday night.

When a severe storm bore down on Fredericksburg and those in attendance at the District 3 Class AAAA quarterfinal between Cedar Cliff and Lower Dauphin were asked to seek shelter, I literally had nowhere to go.

Not being familiar with anything remotely close to Fredericksburg, jumping in my car was pointless, especially if a tornando did hit. Luckily, the good folks at Fredericksburg Legion Post 915 -- the building is located near the baseball field -- opened their doors to both myself and a handfull of other people from the game.

Once inside, I realized how serious it was: the National Weather Service issued a Tornando Warning for numerous counties in the area, including Lebanon. The worst of it was to hit Fredericksburg at 8 p.m., roughly five minutes after I stepped inside.

After about 45 minutes in the Legion, Cedar Cliff catcher Will Enrico's mother offered to drive me back over to the field so I could interview Colts coach Justin Phillips without being soaked from the rain that was hanging around. When we were done, she drove me to my car at the top of the hill.

None of the people who helped Thursday night did it to get their son's name in the paper or to get good publicity for their Legion. They did it because they're good people and to them, I want to offer another thank you.

No comments: