Monday, February 21, 2011

Big day for Thomson

Saturday turned out to be special for Mechanicsburg senior Zach Thomson.

The 160-pounder was one of three champions for coach Roger Barrick at the District 3 Class AAA Section I tournament and helped the host Wildcats to a third-place finish behind Big Spring and Cumberland Valley.

Thomson's 3-0 decision over Cedar Cliff senior Dylan Carmichael was his first section title but it was a victory in the afternoon's semifinals that Thomson will remember.

Thomson made short work of West Perry senior John Adams and pinned him in 3:24. The victory was Thomson's 103rd of his career and made him the all-time wins leader at Mechanicsburg.

"My main goals were to get my 100 wins, break the school record for wins and place at states," Thomson said. "It's nice that I won here and it would be nice if I won districts but the bottom line is to get to states."

To do that, Thomson needs to finish in the top three of this weekend's District 3/Southcentral Region tournament at Hersheypark Stadium.

Thomson (31-1 this year) opens against Solanco junior Cole Martin (32-13).

"It's nice because people come up to me in school and say, 'Good job,'" said Thomson, who notched career win No. 100 on Feb. 12. "My name will always be on the wall here."

No comments: